Skip to main content

PROVEN WAYS TO PAINT YOUR CONCRETE PATIO (2026)


 

This is the continuation of my DIY projects after moving into my new home.
I am a big fan of doing things with my hands; when I moved into my new place, I wanted to do almost everything myself.

In my previous post, I shared how I had to work on the outdated popcorn ceiling in my house.


Quick update on how we changed the popcorn ceiling into a state-of-the-art ceiling.

It turned out really beautiful after painting, and we gave it a white color, and it looks lovely now.

With that progress, I think I will now do everything myself.

I need that feeling of satisfaction.

This motivated my wife and me to take some of the home improvement work into our hands.

The patio in the backyard was the next agreed project we had to work on.
The concrete slab was just more of an eyesore, and it was in terrible shape.

It was dirty and looked boring, so we had to do something quickly.

We both went online to read and watch videos on how we could give our ugly concrete slap a stunning makeover.


It took us just a day to gather all we needed to change the face of our concrete slab.
We bought all products needed on amazon.


Here is the list of the items you should buy.
 

KILZconcrete waterproof paint

Roller brush

A 4-inch rousel fence brush

Ash masonry paint

Frog tape

stencils.


 

Why these products?

Kilz waterproof paint; This product has been manufactured purposely to waterproof and seal porous concrete surfaces.

It has been manufactured using nanotechnology to form barriers that stop water infiltration, while an alkaline resistant coating provides a long-lasting, durable, and decorative finish.


Kilz concrete floor paint;
The unique properties of this product are that it is highly durable, easy to clean, and, surprisingly, does not fade.

It also has a fine state-of-the-art finish.



How to go about it

To begin, you must start by cleaning the concrete slab.
You can jet wash it, leave it to dry until the next day, and then clean thoroughly to remove all the dirt on the slab using the 4-inch rousel fence brush.
Now the fun part painting.
The white concrete masonry paint is the first you should apply. But before pouring it out to paint, make sure to stir it thoroughly.


Start the painting with kilz concrete floor paint using the 4-inch brush.
This brush should be used so the paint can enter all crevices on the concrete slab.
Depending on the size, it could take up to an hour to finish painting the concrete slab.

After about 2 hours, apply the second coat of paint.

Now your boring patio should start to look good once again.

The second coat will be dried to touch in about 2 hours.

It is best to start stenciling from the middle part of the patio.

Stick the stencil down firmly using the frog tape.

This is to prevent the wind from blowing it off so we can get a good result.


Again before applying the second paint thus, the ash masonry paint on the stencil, open and stir the paint with a stick to thoroughly mix it.


You can fetch the ash masonry paint into a giant bucket, making it easier for the roller brush to access the color.
It would take time and effort to finish stenciling your patio.

When done, leave your patio to dry for an hour.
It is that simple; your patio should have a stunning look now.

The process is very satisfying when you do it yourself.


This should be fun.

 

 Here is a video to guide you.

 
video by  Kerry Whelpdale

PS; There are affiliate links in this post. My full disclosure can be found here. I earn money as an Amazon Associate by making qualifying purchases at no extra cost to you.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

2026 Easy Way To Fix Floating Floor Gaps under $60

  In one way or the other, most of us have faced the problem of having gaps develop between planks on our floors. Thus if you have laminate or engineering floor, you will be familiar with this problem.    image from floorgapfixer.com It is a problem I face most often, and I will show you an easy step-by-step way you can fix this yourself for under $100! We face this problem mainly because laminate or engineered wood flooring has been designed to expand and contract during seasonal changes in weather conditions. The floors, according to the designs, have not been nailed to the subframe so this expansion and contraction is common.   I recently just found out that many face this problem too. Hence, this article to help solve this problem. It was terrible when I first discovered this problem; I had gaps like an inch long on my floor. I contacted a carpenter to come to fix it, and that cost me a lot. So when this started happening again, I took to the in...

Consequences of lying to kids and teenagers

‘’ Katie, go and work on your homework!’’ Katie; – Mom, I’ve already done that. Okay. I headed straight to his bedroom and then came across his school books opened. I decided to check and see if he has done the work correctly, only to find out that he hadn’t touched it yet. I guess you’ve experienced a similar thing before, and you also know how disheartening that is. When I found out that he was lying about doing his homework, it really broke my heart. I was lost for words because this was the first time he lied straight in my face. I was in disbelief and shocked. I didn’t know what to do about the situation, so I sat on his bed to process what was going on and how best I could address it. I knew the best way to deal with the situation was to let him know the consequences of lying. That will let him understand his actions and the harmful effects it is likely to have on him if he continues with them. But since it was my first time being a parent, I had to research by as...

Shocking Pregnancy Reveal: Will Her Girlfriend Freak Out or Celebrate?

Did you really watch this video where this girl is about to drop the biggest bombshell on her girlfriend? It’s not just any news—it’s a pregnancy announcement! And the best part? She hasn’t even told her girlfriend yet! If you missed it, don’t worry, because we’re about to dive into the details of this wild story. Trust me, you’re going to want to stick around for the tea. So, here’s the scoop. This girl and her girlfriend usually get their periods around the same time. But this time, something was off—her period was really, really late. Now, we all know that could mean one thing, right?  So she goes out and buys a pregnancy test, and what do you think happens? It comes out positive! But hold on—she didn’t stop there. Like any of us would, she wanted to be absolutely sure, so she went back and bought two more tests. And guess what? Both of them said the same thing: she’s pregnant! Now, let’s pause for a second. Can you imagine finding out you’re pregnant and not telling anyone for ...