Skip to main content

Easy tips for teaching children empathy

As parents, we are the foremost contact people for our children to learn from. That is why we need to capitalize on that to teach our kids some basic skills they will need in life, and empathy is one of these skills.

In this article, we will learn some easy tips necessary to teach empathy to kids.

Wikipedia defines empathy as the capability to feel just as someone feels within their frame of reference. Simply put, it is the capacity to place oneself in another’s position.

Having empathy makes one a good person and has a lot of benefits associated with it; that is why parents must make it a point to help their kids see the importance of it.

One might ask, is empathy taught, or is it something you are born with. Some children are born with it while others learn from their parents.

Before we start looking at how you can teach empathy to your children, let’s first look at why it is crucial for parents to teach it.

Importance of teaching your children empathy

freepik.com

1.     Mental well-being;

Some researchers have revealed that most people with empathy towards others are happier than those who don’t.

2.     It helps us connect to other people;

Another importance of having empathy towards others is that it helps us be seen and appreciated. It also has the tendency to give us a sense of belonging where we will be able to connect to others who feel the same way as we do.

3.     It helps others;

When you have empathy towards someone, it, in a way, gives comfort to the person. At times, it may be that the person needs something that you have in abundance, so when you give, you are helping the person a lot, allowing us to have a meaningful existence.


4.     Academic success;

Children who have empathy for others are mostly brilliant and excel very well in their academic activities, and this also influences their career lives when they grow to become adults.

With the information above on the importance of teaching empathy to kids, I don’t think any parent will want to prevent their ward from learning to be more empathetic towards others.

Here is how you can teach your children the importance of empathy below.

Tips on how to teach children empathy

freepik.com

1.     Show them;

If you want kids to learn something, it is by showing. Kids learn by what they see others doing, which is why you must take the lead. Let him see you helping out others, giving to the needy, and being with the sick or less privileged.

2.     Connect feelings;

Another way to teach kids empathy is to help them understand how the one who might need their compassion is feeling. If children can imagine what the person is going through, they will know how awful their situation is, making them care a lot and want to offer their help.

3.     Instill it in them;

Make sure you make it a habit every evening when you are about to have dinner to ask your children how their day went and if they were able to do something kind?

You can also ask if, by any means, they were able to spot someone doing good. Doing this will help them put more focus or attention on having empathy toward those in need.

4.     Travel;

Make it a habit of taking your children once in a while to the less privileged communities where people don’t have good shelter. Or take them to food banks where they can see what people go through just to survive. This will make them feel the need to show empathy and want to help out with the little they have.

5.     Teach them through stories;

There are numerous story books out there for kids which encourage empathy. These books narrate stories to them and, in the end, teach them lessons on why it is good to have compassion towards humanity.

One book to recommend for kids on empathy is ‘’The Rabbit Listened’’ by Cori Doerrfeld.

Conclusion

Teaching children how to empathize with others is not just a one-time thing to teach them; it is an everyday thing to do and requires a commitment to help build that character.

I hope this write-up goes a long way to help you teach this critical life skill to your child.

Thanks for reading, and please don’t forget to share this for others to learn.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

2023 Easy Way To Fix Floating Floor Gaps under $60

  In one way or the other, most of us have faced the problem of having gaps develop between planks on our floors. Thus if you have laminate or engineering floor, you will be familiar with this problem.    image from floorgapfixer.com It is a problem I face most often, and I will show you an easy step-by-step way you can fix this yourself for under $100! We face this problem mainly because laminate or engineered wood flooring has been designed to expand and contract during seasonal changes in weather conditions. The floors, according to the designs, have not been nailed to the subframe so this expansion and contraction is common.   I recently just found out that many face this problem too. Hence, this article to help solve this problem. It was terrible when I first discovered this problem; I had gaps like an inch long on my floor. I contacted a carpenter to come to fix it, and that cost me a lot. So when this started happening again, I took to the internet to find out

HOW TO INSTALL PEEL AND STICK WALLPAPER (2024)

  Peel and stick wallpapers are fast becoming a new trend, and everybody seems to be joining this trend. I didn't know this was a trend until I visited my brother-in-law one day for his daughter's birthday, and I was astonished when I saw the wallpapers on his wall. It was really breathtaking, and I decided that I must get there, peel and stick wallpapers and transform my house as soon as possible. I got back home in the evening and started researching this peel-and-stick wallpaper and how I could install it. Fortunately for me, I was able to find all the information I was looking for and decided to buy the peel and stick wallpapers right away. I wrote this piece to show you an effortless step-by-step procedure on how you can install a peel and stick wallpaper all by yourself without calling in a handyman and, in the process saving you money. The peel and stick wallpapers are about 18ft long and 20.5 inches wide. Since you now know the measurements of one

How to make kids fall asleep fast

freepik.com Here is how I finally decided to look for ways to make my kids fall asleep fast. I was done with lunch for the kids; the older one, who is 7, started shouting throughout the house, and the little one, who is 4, also joined with his crying, and it was just too much for me to bear. I knew all that was going on because they had nothing to do, and it's not because they hadn't eaten too. You can imagine how furious I became to the extent that I had to start looking around for answers immediately. Quickly, I grabbed my phone to start making some calls to friends who had been in the game for a while before me, I mean the parenting game. To be honest, I was shocked I didn't know all these tips because when I started implementing them, I finally had the peace of mind I always had, which also helped the kids a lot. After all, they got to sleep and relax a bit. I am delighted to share this with the world through this platform. But before we dive into how you can make your