Skip to main content

How to fix your child’s gaming addiction

Video games are one of the top distractions that could take a child's attention off his studies, and I know this worries a lot of parents like me.

This could affects some children's academic grades and also lead to some repeating their class.

According to a study by Cummings and Vandewater in 2007, conducted on children between the ages of 10 to 19, children who play video games only use 30% of their time to study.

This is a worrying situation and needs a lot of attention to address, but it seems the schools can only do a little about it; the majority of this problem's fixing rests on the parents' shoulders.

Luckily, we have some helpful tips to help you fix your child's gaming addiction. Many parents have tried these tips, and they have worked perfectly for them, so I don't think you have to be worried anymore.

However, we can understand more the urgency we must attach to our children's gaming addiction only if we know some of the adverse effects too much playing a video game can have on them.

Negative effects of gaming on children.

freepik.com

1. Poor academic results;

As mentioned in the introduction of this article, excessive gaming by children can lead to them ending up with bad academic records.

This is because the child's attention is already divided, with most of the attention being on gaming. And since the child spends most time to play games, he will be too exhausted to spend the rest of the time learning.

2. Leads to violence;

Most video games that are addictive to children are violent ( I wouldn't like to mention their names), and these games have a lot of influencing power on children.

There are many reports of children becoming violent after being exposed to these games at home and school, with the most notable ones being the frequent school shootings that have been going on.


3. Frequent use of foul languages;

Foul languages are forbidden in our society, even for adults, but unfortunately, it is not so in most of our video games today.

Since these words are something they hear consistently in these games, they feel there isn't anything wrong with using them in real life, with some also using obscene gestures learned from playing these games.

4. Disruption of sleep pattern;

Sleep has a lot of benefits to the human body; that is why it is a norm that after a long day of activities, one needs a good amount of sleep to help the body regain its energy.

However, it will be difficult for children addicted to playing video games to also have their share of the benefits a good night's sleep offers because they are too invested in their games.

This has many other dire consequences, significantly impacting their mental health.

These four adverse effects listed above show how harmful video games can be to our kids if we fail to intervene and do something about their addiction.

So how do you go about helping a child fix his addiction problem?

Well, here are a few tips for you to help you out.

How to fix your child's gaming addiction

freepik.com

1. Set time limits;

Taking children off gaming should be a gradual process but not at once, so the best way to go about it is to set time limits for the child and be firm on your decision.

Let them be aware of the time you have decided to play games for them to adjust.

2. Establish firm consequences;

If your child breaks the rules on time limits for playing video games, he must be aware of the consequences.

Making him aware of what punishment awaits him when he crosses the limit will make him become disciplined and always abide by your rules.

3. Engage him in other activities;

Instead of allowing your child to play video games, let him use that time to do something creative or productive.

Reading or drawing can also be a fun thing for them to do. This will not only help them gain knowledge but also help shape their minds, preparing them for a brighter future.

Making them help you with the chores at home instead of playing games can also be productive for them to engage.

4. Control;

you are in charge of whatever goes on in your home as a parent; therefore, act accordingly. Keep the video game out of your child's reach if it isn't time for him to play.

If it is an online game, take down the wifi, but if it is not, you can cease the gaming console or anything that will prevent him from playing.

This may be an extreme action to take, but it is for the greater good of the child.

5. Encourage him to play outdoor;

Instead of being trapped all day indoors, encourage your child to go play outside. This will allow him to explore the environment and encourage him to be adventurous.

This will also encourage him to appreciate nature even as he becomes an adult.

6. Talk to him;

The last but not the least way to help your child fix his gaming problem is by talking to him. Explain to him the harmful effects of being addicted to gaming.

This will let him understand that he is on a dangerous path and make him consider changing for the better.

With the tips listed above, I believe your child's gaming addiction will be a thing of the past.

Thanks for reading, and kindly share this so others can also learn how to also help their children fix their gaming addiction.

 

Comments

  1. Video games have lots of reading. And problem-solving. They’re good for children. Many games are called visual novels for a reason.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

2023 Easy Way To Fix Floating Floor Gaps under $60

  In one way or the other, most of us have faced the problem of having gaps develop between planks on our floors. Thus if you have laminate or engineering floor, you will be familiar with this problem.    image from floorgapfixer.com It is a problem I face most often, and I will show you an easy step-by-step way you can fix this yourself for under $100! We face this problem mainly because laminate or engineered wood flooring has been designed to expand and contract during seasonal changes in weather conditions. The floors, according to the designs, have not been nailed to the subframe so this expansion and contraction is common.   I recently just found out that many face this problem too. Hence, this article to help solve this problem. It was terrible when I first discovered this problem; I had gaps like an inch long on my floor. I contacted a carpenter to come to fix it, and that cost me a lot. So when this started happening again, I took to the internet to find out

HOW TO INSTALL PEEL AND STICK WALLPAPER (2024)

  Peel and stick wallpapers are fast becoming a new trend, and everybody seems to be joining this trend. I didn't know this was a trend until I visited my brother-in-law one day for his daughter's birthday, and I was astonished when I saw the wallpapers on his wall. It was really breathtaking, and I decided that I must get there, peel and stick wallpapers and transform my house as soon as possible. I got back home in the evening and started researching this peel-and-stick wallpaper and how I could install it. Fortunately for me, I was able to find all the information I was looking for and decided to buy the peel and stick wallpapers right away. I wrote this piece to show you an effortless step-by-step procedure on how you can install a peel and stick wallpaper all by yourself without calling in a handyman and, in the process saving you money. The peel and stick wallpapers are about 18ft long and 20.5 inches wide. Since you now know the measurements of one

How to make kids fall asleep fast

freepik.com Here is how I finally decided to look for ways to make my kids fall asleep fast. I was done with lunch for the kids; the older one, who is 7, started shouting throughout the house, and the little one, who is 4, also joined with his crying, and it was just too much for me to bear. I knew all that was going on because they had nothing to do, and it's not because they hadn't eaten too. You can imagine how furious I became to the extent that I had to start looking around for answers immediately. Quickly, I grabbed my phone to start making some calls to friends who had been in the game for a while before me, I mean the parenting game. To be honest, I was shocked I didn't know all these tips because when I started implementing them, I finally had the peace of mind I always had, which also helped the kids a lot. After all, they got to sleep and relax a bit. I am delighted to share this with the world through this platform. But before we dive into how you can make your