Skip to main content

How to motivate an unmotivated child

pexel.com

Ever wondered how to motivate an unmotivated child? Adolescence can bring new challenges, and if you're grappling with how to motivate a lazy teenager, you're not alone. 

In this blog, we'll explore effective strategies and resources, including the Big Life Journal, to inspire and encourage positive changes in your child's motivation and mindset.

Last year, I traveled to visit my brother, it was a while since I met him and his family, but my traveling there was not a happy one for me because I noticed something that I felt terrible about, and as an uncle, I couldn't say no when my brother asked if I could help out.

The problem was that their 10-year-old suddenly changed into this lazy, unmotivated bully where he feels too lazy; and just orders his siblings around to get them to do almost everything for him.

There have been a lot of attempts to get him to change for the better, but nothing seems to work.

Fortunately for them, I have dealt with this problem before with one of my students, so I knew I was the right person to help my nephew.

If you also have this problem at home, you'll want to stick around for my best tips for solving this serious problem.

However, before we get to how to solve this problem of laziness and no motivation in your child, it will be important to look at the root cause of the problem first.

Probable reasons why your child is lazy and unmotivated.

1. Learning disabilities;

Many children are mostly misunderstood and labeled lazy when they only suffer from learning difficulties.

A university in Australia, Queensland University of Technology, once evaluated some children tagged as lazy. After the children were taken through a series of examinations, it was found that over 90% suffered from significant learning difficulties and attention problems.

This problem was identified to also be the reason behind the children also being unmotivated too.

2. Sleep problem;

When a child cannot sleep well at night, it can also be a cause. 

This sleep problem can also make it difficult for your child to excel in school activities.

This sleep problem can be because your child stays up all night watching tv, playing video games, or watching videos on his smartphone.

3. Depression;

Another major possible cause of laziness and lack of motivation in a child can be depression.

Children who have this problem are mainly unmotivated to do anything.

A research conducted in the U.S. showed that up to 3% of children suffer from depression, which is more significant in boys under 10.

Most depression cases in children can be attributed to bullying by schoolmates and friends.

Now back to the main reason for this article, what to do if your child is lazy and unmotivated;

Here are my best tips for solving this problem;

1. Be inspiring;

One of the best ways to get your child to become motivated is by becoming an inspiration to him or yourself.

But how do you become an inspiration to your child and not push it too much, where your child will think you are too controlling?

The best way to do that is to look at someone who inspires you and pick it on from there.

2. Have family activities together;

Staying too indoors with electronic gadgets can also fuel your child to be lazy and unmotivated.

Set some time and go outdoors together as a family leaving all the electronic gadgets away.

This could be playing in the park, going fishing, road trips, going to the movies, or any other place you think can help change your child's mood.

While this concept may initially appear futile, it possesses the potential to significantly transform your child's motivation.

3. Give him/her some space;

Sometimes, your child's lack of motivation involves you over-involving yourself in his affairs.

I know it is challenging to sit down and watch your kids do things for themselves without you trying to contribute in one way or the other.

Try to step aside a little and let your child be what he wants to be and figure things out himself.

Doing this lets you observe what makes your child tick before trying to help him understand himself.

4. Assign them chores;

Another way you can help your child get rid of his laziness is by assigning him chores at home.

This will get him to start being active and be an excellent way to prepare him for the future.

Find something appropriate for your child's age to do.

If it takes a lot from you to teach him how to do some of these chores, dont hesitate to spend time teaching him.

It will eventually pay off.

5. Encourage them to chase their dreams;

What do you identify your child loves to do? If you are still determining what he likes to do, encourage him to do what makes him happy when unmotivated.

It may take some time for your child to discover what he is interested in if he doesn't have any, so it is advisable to keep motivating him and giving him all your support until he finally finds his foot.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

2023 Easy Way To Fix Floating Floor Gaps under $60

  In one way or the other, most of us have faced the problem of having gaps develop between planks on our floors. Thus if you have laminate or engineering floor, you will be familiar with this problem.    image from floorgapfixer.com It is a problem I face most often, and I will show you an easy step-by-step way you can fix this yourself for under $100! We face this problem mainly because laminate or engineered wood flooring has been designed to expand and contract during seasonal changes in weather conditions. The floors, according to the designs, have not been nailed to the subframe so this expansion and contraction is common.   I recently just found out that many face this problem too. Hence, this article to help solve this problem. It was terrible when I first discovered this problem; I had gaps like an inch long on my floor. I contacted a carpenter to come to fix it, and that cost me a lot. So when this started happening again, I took to the internet to find out

HOW TO INSTALL PEEL AND STICK WALLPAPER (2024)

  Peel and stick wallpapers are fast becoming a new trend, and everybody seems to be joining this trend. I didn't know this was a trend until I visited my brother-in-law one day for his daughter's birthday, and I was astonished when I saw the wallpapers on his wall. It was really breathtaking, and I decided that I must get there, peel and stick wallpapers and transform my house as soon as possible. I got back home in the evening and started researching this peel-and-stick wallpaper and how I could install it. Fortunately for me, I was able to find all the information I was looking for and decided to buy the peel and stick wallpapers right away. I wrote this piece to show you an effortless step-by-step procedure on how you can install a peel and stick wallpaper all by yourself without calling in a handyman and, in the process saving you money. The peel and stick wallpapers are about 18ft long and 20.5 inches wide. Since you now know the measurements of one

How to make kids fall asleep fast

freepik.com Here is how I finally decided to look for ways to make my kids fall asleep fast. I was done with lunch for the kids; the older one, who is 7, started shouting throughout the house, and the little one, who is 4, also joined with his crying, and it was just too much for me to bear. I knew all that was going on because they had nothing to do, and it's not because they hadn't eaten too. You can imagine how furious I became to the extent that I had to start looking around for answers immediately. Quickly, I grabbed my phone to start making some calls to friends who had been in the game for a while before me, I mean the parenting game. To be honest, I was shocked I didn't know all these tips because when I started implementing them, I finally had the peace of mind I always had, which also helped the kids a lot. After all, they got to sleep and relax a bit. I am delighted to share this with the world through this platform. But before we dive into how you can make your