Skip to main content

4 Easy Ways To Help Your Child Handle Peer Rejection

Let's look at this scenario, you are at the park with your 7-year-old daughter, and you let her alone to play with her mates while you are watching over her sitting on a bench.

You see your child moving toward some kids to play with them, but she is rejected. She then proceeds to another set of kids, and yet still, they also didn't want anything to do with her.

Seeing how that hurt her and how devastated she became at that moment, what do you do as a parent?

This was me not long ago, which made me very sad because I didn't know kids could behave in this manner.

It's really heartbreaking to see your child go through such pain, but hey, you are the parent, and you must always be ready for things like that, so I had to do something quickly.

 How I handled the situation and what I had to tell my child to help her through will be revealed shortly, plus other great tips that can help your child through this challenging moment.

Before we do that, I believe it will do us all an excellent service if I lay down how peer rejection can be damaging to our kids.

In other words, the effects of peer rejection on kids.

Effects of peer rejection on children

1. Loneliness;

freepik.com

It's pretty evident that when someone is rejected by his peers, the first visible effect it can have on the person is that he becomes lonely without anyone around him who he can count on for physical or emotional support.

This can also be said about kids who have also been rejected by their colleagues.

2. Low self-esteem;

Another dangerous effect of peer rejection among children is low self-esteem. Low self-esteem is when someone loses his self-confidence and might think he is worthless.

If not handled at the early stages of your child's life, this can be very dangerous because your child might have that mentality that he is worthless and grow up with that always playing in his head, leading to him becoming suicidal or worse.

3. Social anxiety;

Again this is another long-term effect on a child's life. Social anxiety means that your child will always become worried that he might do something embarrassing whenever he finds himself hanging out with people.

Since we are familiar with how peer rejection affects kids, we can now look at how we can help our kids deal with this situation.

Related topic; How to be a positive mom at home

Consequences for disrespectful child

How to help a child through peer rejection

1. Ask your child what happened;

Knowing why your child got rejected can help you understand and identify the problem, which can also help address the issue and solve it to the root.

The process of him telling you the problem can also be helpful to him too because saying what actually happened will, in a way, heal him from the pain he is carrying.

2. Show empathy;

freepik.com

Let your child know that you care about what happened to him when he confronts you about him being rejected.

Let him know that you understand what he is going through by putting it to him like " they don't want you to play with them, right?" and then reassure him that all is well and you know what he is going through.

By comforting him this way, he will feel heard and calm a little.

3. Let them know its part of life;

Though it can be excruciating, letting them understand that there is nothing wrong with what they are going through and that it is just part of life can help lessen things.

I tell my kids that sometimes, things will not go the way they want them to, and they should accept it like that.

Though they might find that unfair but thats how things are, and there is nothing you can do about it.

4. Join your friends and family;

Where do his friends play? Why not take him to that playground the next time you plan on going out?

Going to a playground where your child knows most of the kids because they are his cousins, friends, or classmates will make him tend to enjoy playing with them without feeling rejected.

Conclusion.

I know it is a difficult situation when your child experiences this, and it is never the wish of any parent for this to happen.

I hope that the next time your child is rejected, these simple tips will help you save the situation.

 Thanks for reading.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

2023 Easy Way To Fix Floating Floor Gaps under $60

  In one way or the other, most of us have faced the problem of having gaps develop between planks on our floors. Thus if you have laminate or engineering floor, you will be familiar with this problem.    image from floorgapfixer.com It is a problem I face most often, and I will show you an easy step-by-step way you can fix this yourself for under $100! We face this problem mainly because laminate or engineered wood flooring has been designed to expand and contract during seasonal changes in weather conditions. The floors, according to the designs, have not been nailed to the subframe so this expansion and contraction is common.   I recently just found out that many face this problem too. Hence, this article to help solve this problem. It was terrible when I first discovered this problem; I had gaps like an inch long on my floor. I contacted a carpenter to come to fix it, and that cost me a lot. So when this started happening again, I took to the internet to find out

HOW TO INSTALL PEEL AND STICK WALLPAPER (2024)

  Peel and stick wallpapers are fast becoming a new trend, and everybody seems to be joining this trend. I didn't know this was a trend until I visited my brother-in-law one day for his daughter's birthday, and I was astonished when I saw the wallpapers on his wall. It was really breathtaking, and I decided that I must get there, peel and stick wallpapers and transform my house as soon as possible. I got back home in the evening and started researching this peel-and-stick wallpaper and how I could install it. Fortunately for me, I was able to find all the information I was looking for and decided to buy the peel and stick wallpapers right away. I wrote this piece to show you an effortless step-by-step procedure on how you can install a peel and stick wallpaper all by yourself without calling in a handyman and, in the process saving you money. The peel and stick wallpapers are about 18ft long and 20.5 inches wide. Since you now know the measurements of one

How to make kids fall asleep fast

freepik.com Here is how I finally decided to look for ways to make my kids fall asleep fast. I was done with lunch for the kids; the older one, who is 7, started shouting throughout the house, and the little one, who is 4, also joined with his crying, and it was just too much for me to bear. I knew all that was going on because they had nothing to do, and it's not because they hadn't eaten too. You can imagine how furious I became to the extent that I had to start looking around for answers immediately. Quickly, I grabbed my phone to start making some calls to friends who had been in the game for a while before me, I mean the parenting game. To be honest, I was shocked I didn't know all these tips because when I started implementing them, I finally had the peace of mind I always had, which also helped the kids a lot. After all, they got to sleep and relax a bit. I am delighted to share this with the world through this platform. But before we dive into how you can make your